Lattice Semiconductor Corporation has announced the availability of four new reference designs for the MachXO2 family of programmable logic devices (PLDs). The new reference designs simplify the usability of the built-in I2C, SPI and user Flash memory functions in the MachXO2 device's embedded function block (EFB). Lattice also released five new demonstration designs and three updated application notes focused on the embedded, Flash memory-based EFB.
The EFB's built-in I2C, SPI and user Flash memory functions of the MachXO2 family are utilized by the customers to interface with microprocessors, microcontrollers, memories and other system peripherals in applications such as I/O expansion and bridging, data storage, configuration and power sequencing. The reference designs made available extend the EFB ease-of-use with ready-to-use RTL code for the following functions, each with standard data and command interfaces:
1. I2C-Slave (Lattice reference design number RD1124)
2. SPI-Slave (RD1125)
3. UFM access (RD1126)
4. Embedded Programming (RD1129)
The RTL code is fully commented and parameterized, so it can be easily edited for customized implementations.
The five new demonstration designs implement the EFB reference designs on Lattice hardware development kits, including the MachXO2 Pico development kit, in the following system configurations:
1. I2C master with I2C slave (Lattice demonstration design number UG55)
2. SPI master with SPI slave (UG56)
3. Master I2C & SPI using 'C' and the LatticeMico8 microcontroller (UG54)
4. Programming via the Wishbone bus interface (UG57)
5. Embedded programming via I2C (UG58)
These designs, each with commented, pre-verified RTL and C code, are easily re-usable to help engineers get a head start on their own implementations. Updated documentation for MachXO2 programming, configuration and EFB hard IP functions can be found in the following application notes:
1. TN1204 - MachXO2 programming and configuration usage guide
2. TN1205 - Using user Flash memory and hardened control functions in MachXO2 devices user's guide
3. TN1246 - using user Flash memory and hardened control functions in MachXO2 devices reference guide
MachXO2 Pico development kit is priced at $29. All MachXO2 PLDs are fully production qualified and have been shipping since 2011.
For application notes and demonstration designs www.latticesemi.com/machxo2