Maxim Integrated Products introduced the DS2726, a stand-alone protection IC with integrated cell balancing for 5- to 10-cell lithium-ion (Li+) battery packs. It combines voltage and current monitoring with cell balancing in a single chip.
This new protection IC employs high-side p-channel protection FETs to provide over-voltage, under-voltage, discharge-current, and short-circuit protection.
The key features of DS2726 are:
1. The protection circuit monitors individual cell voltages to detect over-voltage and under-voltage conditions.
2. The high-side protection allows the host system to maintain communication with a fuel gauge even when a fault condition causes the protection FETs to switch off.
3. To further simplify design and reduce cost, the DS2726 eliminates the need for an external microcontroller to configure the device.
4. Voltage-protection and cell-balancing thresholds are pin programmable.
5. The over-discharge and short-circuit current limits can be set with external resistors.
6. The over-discharge and short-circuit current time-out delays can be set with external capacitors.
This simple device thus can provide robust protection while extending battery life by ensuring that all cells are equally charged.
The DS2726 can be a complete protector solution for power tools, e-bikes, portable household appliances, battery-backup systems, or any application with a 5- to 10-cell Li+ battery pack.
Package: 32-pin TQFN package
Size: 7mm x 7mm
Price: $4.58 (1000-up, FOB USA)
Availability: Samples and evaluation kits are available to speed designs.
For more information, go to: www.maxim-ic.com