Introduction: Here below we provide list of various MEMS components for electronics design. MEMS vendors specifications tables, and the further links are provided in helping to find right MEMS device for your application.
MEMS - Key products/applications: Due to the enormous advantages of MEMS, they are useful in various fields like Data processing, Automotive, Consumer electronics, Wireless/Wired communications, Aerospace, Defense, Medical electronics, Biotechnology, etc.,
Types of MEMS products covered in this study are:
· MEMS Accelerometers
· MEMS Microphones
· MEMS Oscillators
Key Manufacturers of MEMS Devices include:
· Analog Devices, Inc.
· Dytran Instruments
· Epson Toyocom
· Freescale Semiconductors
· Gladiator Technologies, Inc.
· Hewlett Packard
· MEMSIC Inc.
· Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd(including VTI Technologies)
· RoHM Kionix
· Sensonor Technologies AS
· SignalQuest, Inc.
· Silicon Designs
Accelerometers are the devices used to measure acceleration and the force producing it. MEMS accelerometers are widely used in cars for airbag deployment and in consumer electronics applications such as smart phones, gaming devices for sensing motion. MEMS Accelerometer are capable of measuring constant, transient and periodic acceleration.
Output type: Selecting this attribute depends on the hardware being interfaced. Analog output is a continuous voltage that is proportional to the acceleration and digital output is a pulse width modulation (PWM).
Number of axis: Devices capable of measurement in one, two or three axes.
Acceleration due to gravity: One 'g' is the gravity on earth: 32.2 ft/sec2 or 9.8m/sec2 or 386 in/sec2.
Sensitivity: Is the output voltage produced by a certain force measured in g's
Dynamic Range: Is the +/- maximum amplitude that the accelerometer can measure before distorting or clipping the output signal.
Bandwidth: The amount of times per second you can take a reliable acceleration reading. For slow moving tilt sensing applications, a bandwidth of 50 Hz is sufficient.
Shock resistance or limit: This is the maximum shock that devices must be able to handle. This explains how many g's of shock an accelerometer can withstand.
Operating Temperature: The temperature ranges over which devices must operate.
Package: Package style, terminal style, number of terminals, etc.,
Parts selection table from key competitors
Manufacturer Name Manufacturer Part Number Acceleration Range Shock MEMSIC Inc. MXC6226XC +/-2g 50,000g Analog Devices, Inc. ADXL206HDZ +/-5g 3,500g Kionix KXTJ2 2g, 4g, 8g VTI Technologies CMA3000-D01 ±2g, 8g Bosch Sensortec BMA280 ±2 g, ±4 g, ±8 g, ±16 g 10,000g STMicroelectronics LIS2DM ±2, ±4, ±8, and ±16 g Gladiator Technologies, Inc. A40-15-200 2g to 15g 500g Bosch Sensortec BMA140 +/-4g 10,000g Analog Devices, Inc. ADXL346ACCZ-RL ±2g, 4g, 8g, 16g 10,000g STMicroelectronics LIS3DSH ±2g/±4g/±8g/±16g 10,000g Analog Devices, Inc. ADXL278 +/-70g Freescale Semiconductors MMA6527KW +/-105g Freescale Semiconductors MMA6556KW +/-105g SignalQuest, Inc. SQ-XLD-3X 1.7g, 5g, 18g, 35g, 50g, 70g 500g
Manufacturer Part Number Size Operating Temperature Voltage Supply MXC6226XC 1.2 x 1.7 x 1.0 mm -20 to +70 Deg C 2.5 V to 5.5 V ADXL206HDZ 13 × 8 × 2 mm -40 to +175 Deg C KXTJ2 2 × 2 × 0.9 mm -40 to +85 Deg C 1.8 V to 3.6 V CMA3000-D01 2 x 2 x 0.95 mm -40 to +85 Deg C 1.7 V to 3.6 V BMA280 2 x 2 x 0.95 mm -40 to 85 Deg C 1.62 V to 3.6 V LIS2DM 2 x 2 x 1 mm -40 to +85 Deg C 1.71 V to 3.6 V A40-15-200 25.4 x 18.4 mm -40 to +85 Deg C BMA140 3 x 3 x 0.9 mm -40 to 85 Deg C 1.8 V to 3.5 V ADXL346ACCZ-RL 3 x 3 x 0.95 mm -40 to 85 Deg C 1.7 V to 2.75 V LIS3DSH 3 x 32 x 1 mm -40 to +85 Deg C 1.71 V to 3.6 V ADXL278 5 x 5 mm -40 to 105 Deg C 4.75 V to 5.25 V MMA6527KW MMA6556KW SQ-XLD-3X -40 to +85 Deg C 3.5 V to 5.8 V
Links to download MEMS accelerometers datasheets of above parts:
New products highlights:
- MEMSIC's "MXC6226XC" is the smallest and lowest priced MEMS Accelerometer for +/- 2g acceleration range. This component also features the maximum shock of 50,000g.
- Kionix's latest component "KXTJ2" is the smallest MEMS Accelerometer with a dimension of "2 × 2 × 0.9 mm". The Manufacturer also suggests that this component is optimized for mobiles & tablets that consumes very low power.
- Analog Devices "ADXL206HDZ" may withstand a temperature of 175 Deg Cel. Also, Analog Devices offers a wide variety of MEMS Accelerometers for Digital, Analog & SPI outputs in 1, 2, & 3 Axes.
- There's an improvement in the MEMS technology due to which the MEMS die size decreased drastically in the recent couple of years which in turn reduced the size and power consumption of the MEMS devices.
- Industrial applications such as oil exploration, monitoring vibration, etc., can use accelerometers with lower Acceleration Sensitivity (g's) whereas components with higher Acceleration Sensitivity (g's) are needed for crash detection in automotive applications and drop protection in laptops. Consumer, aerospace & defense applications need medium Acceleration Sensitivity (g's).
- Higher the Acceleration Sensitivity (g's), higher the cost of the MEMS Accelerometer.
- Low output accelerometers are used to measure high vibration levels while high output accelerometers are used to measure low level vibrations.
- For Analog output types, the impedance/buffering of the MEMS accelerometer typically should be less than 10K Ohm.
Click below for component selection tables on:
Further Resources on MEMS